It’s time for the weekly blast out from RE. This is a fun way for you to engage your kids in faith development for the benefit of both them and you! I encourage you to ask your kids open ended questions about what they are doing in RE and to wonder with them about the mystery and the awe of the universe.
- K-2 OWL continues during RE time. Please remember OWL will end at 11:45.
- Mystery Pals continues through May 5th’s Reveal Party.
- April 21st – Flower Communion, Potluck, Easter Egg Hunt & Games
- Remember to bring your Easter Basket & Flowers for each member of the family.
** OWL is held during the RE hour but with an ending time of 11:45 instead of 11:30. This class will be held in the Spirit Explorers room. All Spirit Explorers & Spirit Players not in OWL, along with visitors will combine into one class which will be held in the Spirit Play room. **
Gentle reminders to please pick up your children from the RE classrooms after service and be mindful of child supervision. Thank you.
This week’s RE lessons:
Youth (6th-12th) Participate in Worship- Ted Talk Discussion- Shane Koyczan: To this day…for the bullied and the beautiful” https://www.ted.com/talks/shane_koyczan_to_this_day_for_the_bullied_and_beautiful?language=en
Facilitator: Mike Bernos
Spirit Seekers: (3rd-5th) URUU: What do UU’s believe about Jesus?”
Facilitator: Chris Jarman
The goal of today’s session is to explore UU beliefs about one of the important Western religious figures: Jesus. The reason Jesus was chosen for this session is because UU roots are Christian, and American culture demands an understanding of Jesus from a cultural literacy perspective, if nothing else. The children will be learning today that there are a wide range of perspectives about Jesus, with emphasis on more common UU understandings of Jesus, and they will learn basic facts from the story of his life.
URUU CHALLENGE: Have you memorized our 7 Principles? Let Chris know to take the Principles Challenge and earn your Promise Keeper Badge!
OWL (Our Whole Lives): (K-2): Spirit Explorers Room
Facilitators: Annabelle Gallois-Bernos, Debbie Atkins, Erin Rogers
Spirit Players & Explorers (PK-2): Spirit Play Room
Facilitator: Janice Knapik
Door Keeper: Jenny Kobin
Lesson: Rechenka’s Eggs by Patricia Polacco: An Easter Story adapted for Spirit Play
- I wonder if you have ever seen or heard any of this before?
- I wonder which part of this story is the most important?
- I wonder which part you like the best?
- I wonder where you might be in this story?
- I wonder if there is a part of the story that we could leave out and still have a story?
- I wonder what it feels like to win a contest?
- I wonder how Rechenka felt when she realized that Babushka had saved her?
- I wonder how Babushka felt when Rechenka broke all of the eggs?
- I wonder if you have ever had something you worked hard on lost or ruined?
- I wonder if you have ever broken something that was important to someone else?
- I wonder how Babushka felt when she realized that Rechenka was gone forever?
- I wonder how it feels to lose someone who is important to you?
- I wonder what Babushka felt when she saw the egg in Rechenka’s basket?
- I wonder where the Spirit of Love and Mystery is in this story?
- I wonder if this lesson reminds you of any of our Unitarian Universalist Promises?
See you Sunday!