This week at BBUUC….
August 11 Rev. Jack Ford will present “Getting Over It”? Trauma and Spiritual Growth
“Every life has at least one crisis,” I read recently. Certainly each of us knows someone who has been changed forever by some traumatic event. Our culture in recent years is dominated by fears of terror, murder, wars and destruction. No one is immune from the effects. Neurologist Robert Scaer even suggests that “all chronic ailments and most mental illness can be traced to trauma.” How can we find spiritual growth and renewal amid life’s suffering, angst, and ugliness?
Led by Debby Jones
Accompanied by Amber Rodriguez
This service will include a Pennies From Heaven Collection to benefit Meals on Wheels.
Our Greeters are Staci and Joe Cologero
Our Fellowship Hosts are Jay and Shanna Gardner
Our Board Host is Erik Slader
Our Welcome Ambassador is Gina Norstedt
Our Spirit Play Teacher is Joani Maskell
Our Elementary Teacher is Annabelle Gallois-Bernos
Our Audio Tech is Dale Crawford
What’s happening at Church this week?
Sunday, August 11
· 9:45am Coffee Conversations – As a joint venture between the Lifespan Religious Education and Membership committees, Coffee Conversations are meant to build community and educate our congregation simultaneously. Topics can and will range from items integral to being a UU, to current events, families, hot topics, and more. Coffee conversations will start at 9:45 and go about 30 minutes. Childcare and coffee will be provided!
· 12pm Caring Committee Meeting
· 12pm FUNdraising Meeting
Tuesday, August 13
· 7pm Council Meeting
Wednesday, August 14
· 7pm BEACON
· 7pm CUUPS
- 7pm Visual Art and Spirituality- We will discuss what defines spirituality in terms of visual art, and Linda will show several examples. If you would like to, you are invited to contribute your own example.
- (How to Self Publish has been postponed. Please keep watch for more information!)
Thursday, August 15
- 7pm Religious Texts and Society – Do you have an interest in the religious texts of the World’s major religions, and how these texts have shaped societies and the modern world? The topic for the first meeting on Thursday, August 15th, at 7 pm will be “What Western Civilization owes the Jews”. Suggested reading is The Gifts of the Jews, by Thomas Cahill. Participants may also suggest other readings for people to review prior to the first meeting. All are invited to attend. Questions? Please see Dale Crawford or Scott Cromar.
Sunday, August 18
· 8:30am-9:30am Pancake Breakfast to benefit the Teens Travel Fund
- 9am “Meet the Teachers” Open House – Come find out who is teaching the children and youth, who is facilitating for adults, and what the curriculums will be like this year for all!
- 9:45am Coffee Conversations
We are looking forward to seeing you this week!