Order of Service
Order of Service
Sunday, March 03, 2024
Manny Andrade, Speaker
Kris Kines, Worship Leader
Dr. Gary Smart, Accompanist
Dr. Marcus Dickman, Special Music
Opening Music: Honeysuckle Rose by Fats Waller (1904-1943)
*Opening Hymn #38, Morning Has Broken
We covenant to engage one another with honesty, kindness,
and respect; to value diversity, seek understanding
of our differences, and practice gracious accountability
with care, love, and empathy. We make these promises
to those who are here, and those yet to come,
so that we may be a safe, welcoming, and beloved community
of acceptance, learning, and transformation
*Call to Worship
From all that dwell below the skies,
Let faith and hope and love arise,
Let beauty, truth, and good be sung,
Through every land by every tongue.
Pennies from Heaven Collection
Children proceed to Religious Education Classes, the congregation remains seated for Hymn #413, Go Now in Peace
Sharing of Personal Joys and Concerns
Special Music: Romance by Victor Ewald (1860-1935)
Offering/*Offertory Hymn #123, Spirit of Life
Sermon: “Christianity Without Dogma”
*Closing Hymn #331, Life Is the Greatest Gift of All
*Benediction and Extinguishing of the Chalice
*Please rise in body or spirit
The Principles of the Unitarian Universalist Association:
We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association, covenant to affirm and promote:
- The inherent worth and dignity of every person.
- Justice, equity and compassion in human relations.
- Acceptance of one another and encouragement to spiritual growth in our congregations.
- A free and responsible search for truth and meaning.
- The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and society at large.
- The goal of world community with peace, liberty and justice for all.
- Respect for the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part.
The living tradition we share draws from many sources:
- Direct experience of that transcending mystery and wonder, affirmed in all cultures, which moves us to a renewal of the spirit and an openness to the forces which create and uphold life
- Words and deeds of prophetic women and men which challenge us to confront powers and structures of evil with justice, compassion, and the transforming power of love
- Wisdom from the world’s religions which inspires us in our ethical and spiritual life
- Jewish and Christian teachings which call us to respond to God’s love by loving our neighbors as ourselves
- Humanist teachings which counsel us to heed the guidance of reason and the results of science, and warn us against idolatries of the mind and spirit
- Spiritual teachings of Earth-centered traditions which celebrate the sacred circle of life and instruct us to live in harmony with the rhythms of nature.
Grateful for the religious pluralism which enriches and ennobles our faith, we are inspired to deepen our understanding and expand our vision. As free congregations we enter into this covenant, promising to one another our mutual trust and support.
Buckman Bridge Unitarian Universalist Church (BBUUC) welcomes guests. Please sign our guest register and help yourselves to the literature on our denomination.
Buckman Bridge Unitarian Universalist Church
8447 Manresa Avenue, Jacksonville, FL 32244
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 844 • Orange Park, FL 32067
Phone: (904) 276-3739 • www.BBUUC.org
As a non-creedal faith, Unitarian Universalism honors and draws upon all of the world’s wisdom traditions.
The Chancel wall in our church includes eight religious symbols representing many of these traditions, with the Unitarian Universalist symbol, the Flaming Chalice, in the window.
To those new to Unitarian Universalism or our church, we recommend that you attend three or four services to get a feel for the congregation, its services and its mission. Services are coordinated and led by Worship Leaders with sermons by guest speakers including UU ministers, lay speakers, clergy from other faiths that represent our sources, and guests from organizations aligned with UU values.
We at BBUUC want to create a supportive and nondiscriminatory environment for our transgender and intersex members and guests.
Please feel free to use the bathroom that matches your gender identity