Mar 30: Professor Ericka Curren presents “And If A Stranger Sojourn”
Prof. Curran will discuss the important role of faith communities and spirituality in the immigrant and human rights movement and, conversely, the importance of immigrants to our spirituality, as well as the benefits we all derive from living in a diverse community. She will focus on the current issues in our local community as well as the work of religious organizations and young people, and will highlight the work that remains to be done. In our area, more help and awareness are needed , particularly regarding our local money making immigrant detention center and the targeting of marginalized immigrants in our community.
About our speaker:
Ericka Curran is the Director and founder of the Immigrant and Human Rights Clinic at Florida Coastal school of law. Through work with students at the law school Ericka is able to offer free legal representation to vulnerable immigrants in our community. She focuses on the representation of the most severely marginalized immigrants including victims of human trafficking, unaccompanied children and the mentally ill immigrants in detention. Ericka has had the great fortune of doing immigrant and human rights work in South Africa and Brazil in addition to her work in the United States.
Led by Joann Carollo, Accompanied by Gary Smart
What’s happening at Church this week?BOGO Food Drive, supported by BBUUYA (Buckman Bridge UU Young Adults) – in this case, “BOGO” means “Buy One, Give One”. When you shop the BOGO sales, buy one for yourself, and give one to help friends in need. Put your non-perishables in the box in the sanctuary. They will be used by BBUUYA to make one week survival kits which will be used to help those in our community who are in need. This is the last weekend of the BOGO Food Drive.
Sunday, March 30th
• 9:30am FUNdraising Sub-Committee Meeting – Middle School Room
• 9:45am Coffee Conversations – High School Room, Coffee and Childcare provided!
• 10:30am OWL for 1st and 2nd Graders – High School Room, during the service
• 12:00pm Lifespan Religious Education Committee Meeting – Elementary Room
• 12:00pm Facilities Committee Meeting – High School Room
Tuesday, April 1st
• 7:00pm Public Relations/Communications Committee Meeting – Middle School Room
Wednesday, April 2nd
• 7:00pm BEACON – High School Room
• 7:00pm CUUPS – Middle School Room
Friday, April 4th
• OWL (Teen) Lock-In in Gainesville
Sunday, April 6th
• Collection for April 12th Rummage Sale begins
• 9:45am Coffee Conversation – High School Room
• 12:00pm Social Action Committee Meeting – Elementary Room
We are looking forward to seeing you this week!