ICARE Justice Ministry Network Member Meetings
What are they all for?
If you’re a Justice Ministry Network member, you’re may be wondering—What are all those meetings for?
The meetings between now and April 1 are needed in order to prepare you to invite three people to the Nehemiah Assembly. You’ll know why you are at the Nehemiah Assembly and why you want others to come.
These meetings are also where we check in as a team. This is our home town social justice team. It’s where we do our work, and where we show up to work together.
Here’s what each meeting is all about:
- Community Problems Assembly – Nov. 13, 2018, 7 pm – at Christ The King Catholic Church, 742 Arlington Road North
You’ve shared your individual stories in our church’s House Meetings. The Community Problems Assembly is where we funnel up all those stories in order to decide what our community’s social justice story is. What does this community need to move forward? This meeting is where we hear about the issues we’ll tackle this year. When a new issue is picked up, Justice Ministry Network members vote on which issue we think our congregation wants to pursue.
- Research Kickoff (optional) – December 4, 6:30 PM, at Arlington Congregational Church, 431 University Blvd North
This is an optional meeting for Network Members who want to be part of a team that does in depth research into an issue. Research Committees operate throughout the year in preparation for the Nehemiah Assembly.
- BBUUC Justice Ministry Network Meeting – Feb. 4, 2019, 6:30 pm – at BBUUC
A meeting for our church’s Justice Ministry Network members only, we get a progress update on the ICARE research committees’ work. And, we each pick BBUUC members to invite to the Nehemiah Assembly. That’s so we don’t have several ICARE network members all inviting the same person!
- Rally – Mar. 4, 2019, 7 pm – at Abyssinia Baptist Church, 10325 Interstate Center Drive.
Held after the issues research has been completed, we find out who can do something about our issue. What piece of the issue are we going to work on this year, and what we are going to ask elected officials to do about it?
- Nehemiah Assembly – April 1, 2019, 6:30 pm – at Abyssinia Baptist Church, 10325 Interstate Center Drive.
This is the one opportunity you will have this year to meet as a team to ask public officials to take action on the community’s problems. There will not be another place where we will have this type of power this year.
- Celebration Dinner – May 20, 2019, 7 pm – at Woodlawn Presbyterian Church, 3026 Woodlawn Rd. Dinner served at 6 pm.
This is where we report and celebrate our successes. If you want to know what we did this year and whether it made a difference, here’s where you will find out. We do this to hold ourselves accountable. And to say thank-you for all the work that’s been done. The Celebration also kicks off, for many churches, the annual ICARE investment drive. It is where we recommit to continuing our work for social justice next year.